Sunday, February 21, 2010

KEEP YOU HEAD STILL ! KEEP YOUR EYE ON THE BALL !

This is a point I know I made many times in practice and thru the very first article last year. We put those things on our heads, that you guys loved walking around the courts with. This is one of those, "little things make the big things happen," point. Remember the ball I attached to the Tree that you were instructed to look at after you hit the one ball, that you'd watch it and count to 10.

That is all about a simple muscle memory exercise to keeping your head still at contact. Nick Saviano, the USTA national team coach, is the instructor seen in it. I love this clip, he uses a baseball analogy that I frequently make note of to all my students. I want you to watch it and take specific note of his description of the front shoulder when he uses that analogy. Hear him state the need to be and stay with the ball at contact, and not focused at all over to the other side of the net. Hear what he says about power and keeping your HEAD STILL