Monday, February 15, 2010

The Pryamid of Success by Coach John Wooden


I love Coach Wooden and have read many of his theories on success in life and sport. John Wooden was once coach of a UCLA men's basketball team that won 10 consecutive national titles. The above picture, please click on it to enlarge it, is his famous 'Pyramid of Success.' I try to follow these concepts the best I can, along with other coaches I've read about and learned from.

Coach Wooden is widely considered one of the best coaches in any sport, ask your parents about John Wooden or Wikipedia him. I want you to read the pyramid of success, and then read it again. Save it and keep it for the rest of your life. Each time you read it, you'll pick up something new that could help you in life, school and sport, with each read. Remember sport is life and life is a sport.

And though we play an individual sport, we are the Paul VI tennis team first and foremost. You desire to compete doesn't end with the challenge matches. You should all take great pride wearing your schools royal blue colors and thus representing Paul VI with class and respect, each and every time you walk out on the court for a match. I know I do as your coach, cause if I sense you don't, you know I'll let you know how I feel about that.