Friday, March 5, 2010

Keep Your Eyes At The Contact Point As Ball Leaves The Racquet

Here's a final short article that I feel ties the other ball tracking pieces together. Its got a few invaluable tips on how to hold your head and eyes at the contact point. The contact point is where the ball meets the racquet. I want to remind you that many if not most still have limited experience in learning this sport. You all have played some, but have more experiences and practice hours in youth sports such as soccer, baseball and swimming. I'm certain you learned technique in those sports many moons ago.

Tennis technique and the correct fundamentals are vital for you in the here and now, so a good foundation continues to strengthen. If it isn't, and you learn and do such technique incorrect. It will take longer to correct any flaws in your game, thus extracting them from your muscle memory. Tennis by nature is repetitive learning and practice. This is why I feel so strongly about my approach and why I can be a stickler at times. I am very passionate about this idea.

My experiences the past couple seasons, teaching and coaching a team at Paul VI and Haddon Heights have reignited my love of tennis, wherein I thought I may have lost it. I got a second wind, with the love of teaching this sport for a lifetime the correct way to you and others, as that catalyst. You can see that passion in my big goofy bag, with all the teaching tools I haul to the courts everyday. I use them to simplify and exact the tennis teaching process to quicken and enhance your learning in many little ways. Remember the 'Pyramid of Success' and its block describing the idea of the passion of the teacher inspiring others.

With that thought, and discounting that you may not feel anywhere near the same. I will continue along this path and hope that I will leave no stone unturned in insisting that I teach you the right way so the foundation we've been setting here will flourish long after you leave these courts and Paul VI High School. I will continue holding true to this idea from the first day of practice to the last day of the season. This is the correct way for the teaching of tennis to occur. If I don't do it this way I'd be doing you a disservice and you'd be wasting your time. Those who were here last year can attest to these truths. They all got a lot better and they should be very proud of themselves individually. I know I am. My first "YESSS!!!," of the season is close by, but I can and will go the opposite way when needed.

A new season brings new challenges and new possibilities for individual and team success. All I ask from any of you individually is that you show you do care about learning this sport, by being at practice and listening to the instructions and following them without problems, grief or excuses. Being at practice and prepared is crucial. I'm only asking you to do this Monday - Friday. That is the essence of the contract you'll get Monday.

Remember the quote from the first day by the famous economist.

"Its better to do the right thing wronger, than the wrong thing righter."