Sunday, May 16, 2010

WE ARE Eagles About To Take FLIGHT & SOAR !!! We Are Ready For Tomorrow's Playoff Match.

Tomorrow the entire tennis team will travel to Middlesex Community College for our quarterfinal playoff match against the #4 seeded team in the South Group A section. It'll be St Joseph of Meutchen against the soaring tennis eagles of Paul VI. I am excited as I suspect you are to, and getting out of school early is a nice reward also. Everyone will get out of class at 1230, all will get dressed in their uniforms and then board the bus with your lunch as we will be leaving PVI at 1pm sharp!!!!

We had a good practice today and I think we've done all we could to put our best foot forward tomorrow. As I've said here before we should cherish the opportunity that such a match presents us and appreciate the challenge each and every moment we're on the court competing tomorrow. I am very grateful to be your coach and be presented with a like challenge and to stand by you tomorrow to encourage, guide and support you in any way you need.

Its been a heck of a ride this season, my second with you. We had 7 wins in the 2009 season with 4 seniors in the starting lineup. We stand now with 12 wins, co-champs of the National Division and no seniors in the line-up. We've now got one last road to travel and maybe one last bus trip to take.

The pre-season goal that I presented to you in February during the first meeting of the year will be achieved tomorrow. All you have to do believe in yourself and each other. I know I do and have always. I and your teammates will be on the other side of the fence to cheer for you when you succeed and pick you up if you fall. As a tennis match contains many of both so be steadfast in this belief and never question yourself.

If we simply be ourselves, play focused yet relaxed, and keep our head between the white lines while competing we will succeed. If we rely on the tennis skills that we feel most confident in. Then find anyway to hit those shots as much as possible but specifically at game point and the point before(15-30 15-40), then we are going to be successful. If we know when to take chances in a game and know when to play conservative(30-0 40-0) then we will be successful.

I know Too Tall Terry Long has a beautiful forehand that he can hit with much spin, power and depth. He can hit this shot with great confidence and with very few errors during a match. I also love these same characteristics of Franklin's forehand. Frank is quite talented in seeing and creating angles on the court. Mark Mc Win has the best hands on the team and I love when he finds his way to the net to use them. His overhead is equally as effective and I feel great confidence when I see him use it.

I left practice today thinking about the soft touch I noticed from Mark's lob, as he used it in our final game to beat his opponent time and time again. It was a weapon. We've all improved our lobbing during the season, and we want to use it tomorrow to keep our opponents off balanced and weary. I know our doubles teams will pay particular attention to the importance of the lob to their success tomorrow.

The Legion of Lamberto will continue their reign of doom that they have on all their opponents this season. The Legion will serve with the strength and consistency they've exhibited all season long. Nick has had so many moments during the season where his aggression at the net has taken over the match. I love watching it. Marcos ability to successfully hit down the line and past the net person may be the most successful and important tennis skill that anyone on the team has. That is quite fun to watch too.

Johnny Dangerously is the mover and shaker on our team. His desire to be active with his feet during a match is something that I've stressed and worked on since day one last year. Its great stuff that sincerely warms my heart to see and I know this worries his opponents. I see John create many opportunities for Mr Rogers to spread his wingspan along the net and cash in. That is what successful doubles is about, creating opportunities for your partner to get easy winners from the net. Really both are great at doing such for each other.

Tomorrow we'll all succeed for each other, and we'll give everything of ourselves for each other. We'll support each other, by communicating and touching racquets as many times as possible during the match. We'll show unity no matter what the situation. We'll love each other as we always have, even if that may sound corny.

I may not have believed that when I was your age, but I look back now and can say with all certainty that I love my teammates that I once played with many moons ago. Those memories and feelings I see in a new light of life experience and I know my once teammates feel much the same. I promise you will one day feel the same. A team of individuals can do extraordinary things when they truly care for each other. A team of brothers and the experience we are all about to have should never be taken for granted. Thanks for showing and reinforcing that priceless feeling to me once again. See you soon.

Love Always,
Coach